Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ethiopia!!!!!!

Ethiopia landscape flag

Well Happy New Year to one and all! I thought to myself, "What's the best way to start off 2012?" BY GOING TO ETHIOPIA!!! I know I mentioned it here months ago, but as you read this I'm winging my way to Ethiopia for a two week photo workshop with with my favorite photographer, David duChemin. Favorite photographer + Ethiopia = mind blown. There will be seven other photographers plus another leader/teacher to spend the time with. I saw David (I call him David now) tweet back in the summer that he would be leading a workshop in Lalibela, Ethiopia during Ethiopian Orthodox Christmas (Jan. 7) when many believers pilgrimage to this place.

If you've never heard of Lalibela, it is famous for it's stone carved churches that are over a thousand years old. The churches are carved down into the rock and all the interior spaces are hallowed out. Click here for a link the Wikipedia page to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. The town will be filled with white-robed pilgrims carrying brightly covered fabric umbrellas who've journeyed to celebrate Christmas in Ethiopia's most holy place.

After spending six days there we're heading over to Bahir Dar which is located on Lake Tana. Lake Tana is the source of the Blue Nile and is dotted with islands holding homes and monasteries. There should be some amazing, and different things to see there.

Our trip wraps up back in the capital, Addis Ababa. I feel so fortunate that I'm able to go on this once in a lifetime trip and witness the beauty and diversity of my daughters' homeland. My internet access in uncertain, but I will hopefully to able to post some images while I'm there. As always, you can follow me over on Twitter ( twitter.com/fxmixer ) if you want to keep up with all the fun.

Have a great week!

No comments: