Monday, February 2, 2009

Desktop calendar

Well, you can't win if you don't try, right? I'm a big fan of the website Smashing Magazine. They're big on free stuff (icons, Wordpress themes and templates, wallpapers, etc.), but they also have a lot of good insight into design and style trends. For the five or six months I've been following them I've been really excited at the beginning of each month to see the new desktop calendars they put up. These are all user created images given away free of charge and, on the whole, are pretty rockin'. Anyway, I thought I'd have a go at making one for February. I put something together and sent it in at the end of December because I was so pumped about it. I didn't know if they told people whether they'd been chosen or not, so I anxiously awaited the beginning of February. Well, today was the day, and out of 70 wallpapers, mine was nowhere to be found. Sigh. The ones that were there were pretty fantastic though, so I contributed in good company.

All that to say this. Why should I let all that work go to waste? Why don't I offer them up on this here blog? So here ya go, in a multitude of resolutions and with or without the calendar. Enjoy.

With calendar:

Photobucket
1920 x 1200
1680 x 1050
1600 x 1200
1280 x 960

Without calendar:

Photobucket
1920 x 1200
1680 x 1050
1600 x 1200
1280 x 960

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Smashing Magazine too but I bet they get hundreds if not thousands of wallpapers each month. Thanks for sharing yours here.

Shane said...

I checked out your competition over @ Smashing Magazine. There were some pretty cool designs, but I would definitely pick yours over many of the other ones. Excellent work.

Anonymous said...

Dude, this image is amazing. I'm impressed. I've never had the opportunity to try a shot like this before, it's beautiful. I just downoaded your image and I have your calendar up on my screen right now.

Thanks for sharing, would you mind doing one for next month as well and put a little leprechaun somewhere under a rock or something :)

Thanks again.

Take care,
B Dad

Skeller said...

I had to go check out the site (I'd never heard of it before). There's a whole lotta creative genius going on over there. But for sheer beauty ... your calendar is a total contender in my book. Really nice work!

fxmixer said...

Thanks everyone! B Dad, about those Leprechauns...

Christian Thibodeau said...

This is a great picture/calendar and it is going to be on all my Macs. Unfortunately the calendar is obscured by the file icons on my Windows boxes at the office. If I didn't know already, I would feel very safe in saying that you must use Macs :)

fxmixer said...

Chris, yes all Macs all the time. ;-)

Bramblemoon Farm said...

These are awesome! I'm tempted to change my desktop, but then I would have to get rid of my Twilight one. BAHAHAHAHAHA

These really are nice. I think it would be great if you offered them on your blog monthly. Infact, I can blog about it tomorrow on my mom blog.